Associate, Direct Investments
Cintrifuse is dedicated to making Greater Cincinnati the #1 Startup ecosystem in the Midwest. We’re here to connect and catalyze tech startups with our extensive network. We inspire ideas, empower founders, lure talent, and attract investors in ways that make our region a magnet for entrepreneurs and innovators worldwide. We enable the activation, development, and growth of startups by strategically leveraging and connecting a network of partners, all committed to expanding innovation and entrepreneurship across the region.
Through its SEC-registered investment advisor, Cintrifuse Fund Management, LLC, (dba Cintrifuse Capital), Cintrifuse Capital has over $180 million of assets under management. In Funds I & II, we focused on investment in some of the country’s and region’s leading venture funds (Greycroft, Lerer Hippeau, Revolution, Mercury, Madrona, Refinery, Atomic, and more). We will soon be investing out of Fund III, through which we will continue investing in other venture funds, but also expand our focus to include direct investment into Cincinnati-area startups. This position will play a key role in supporting this new effort.
We recently completed a 10-year assessment of Cintrifuse’s impact that underscored the importance of greater local startup growth, new approaches to corporate innovation, and heightened focus and expertise in strategic verticals such as Supply Chain, Sustainability, Fintech, Health Care and Diversity. To better understand the Cintrifuse model, review our website.
About the Role:
Excited to work with a team who is passionate about venture capital, innovation, and entrepreneurship? Reporting to the Director of Direct Investments and Venture Creation - Cintrifuse Capital, we’re looking for a motivated, proactive, and energetic person who will work as part of our investment team to aggregate and evaluate data, build relationships with startup founders, and conduct diligence with a keen attention-to-detail, all in order to help us make smart investment decisions.
The Associate, Direct Investments - Cintrifuse Capital is considered an access person for Cintrifuse Capital. As an SEC registered investment adviser, all access persons of Cintrifuse Capital are required to comply with the rules and regulations of the Investment Advisers Act of 1940 and report on the firm’s code of ethics.
Some of the things you’ll do:
- Diligence investment opportunities: You will spend the majority of your time in this role identifying and conducting diligence on investment opportunities (Cincinnati-area startups). This will include meeting with founders, understanding market dynamics and the competitive landscape, analyzing business plans and financial models, and conducting customer calls and reference checks. We will be looking to you to help us identify the best investment opportunities in the region.
- Craft investment memos: Take the lead on formulating comprehensive and thoughtful investment memos that articulate the rationale for making an investment. These memos will include much of what was identified during diligence as well as synthesize other inputs from the broader Cintrifuse Capital team.
- Maintain pipeline: Keep our team and the entire investment process on track by maintaining our pipeline of active leads. You will ensure that we maintain connectivity with founders and are sticking to diligence timelines that we set for ourselves and our potential investments.
- Support our portfolio: Help drive outcomes for our portfolio companies by making key introductions to distribution partners and talent, conducting ad hoc projects such as financial modeling or business planning, or helping a founder prepare for a board meeting. In general, you will need to always be thinking of ways to help our portfolio companies succeed.
- Build key relationships: You will be expected to attend key ecosystem events, such as hackathons, conferences, and networking happy hours. The goal is for you to develop relationships with founders, potential founders, and peers at other venture firms, in order to ensure we are getting an active supply of deal flow and developing co-investment relationships.
- Support Investor relations: Assist the team to ensure that all investor requests and communications are handled as a top priority. Requests ranging from portfolio company information to tax documents are all handled in a timely manner.
We’re looking for someone who is:
- 3-5 years’ work experience with 2+ years in venture capital. Additional relevant experience may include banking, private equity, or consulting. Work experience at a tech startup and/or knowledge of technology and startups is preferred regardless of professional background.
- A BA or MS in a technology-related field and/or finance, accounting, economics or business. Candidate must show an ability to understand the economics of venture and build a financial model, while also bringing a deep understanding of and interest in technology.
- Proficiency in Excel including dynamic modeling, scenario analysis, charts, visualizations and Powerpoint formatting and development.
- Strong ability to multi-task, highly organized and detail-oriented to successfully navigate the rigors of the diligence and investing process.
- Self-generated appetite for work with an eagerness for continued learning as well as coachable and open to constructive feedback to improve work product and process.
- A point of view on emerging technology and business models, a level of comfort voicing your opinion, and an openness to considering others’ inputs and refining your viewpoint.
- Ethical, open-minded, diplomatic and use own discretion and judgment with limited direction.
- Demonstrated application of time management and project management concepts/skills.
- Ability to be a team player, operate in a high-functioning team environment and take on ever increasing responsibilities and grow into a larger role.
- Maintain confidentiality of all sensitive data.
What will set you apart:
- A high level of comfort and experience building new relationships and networking in the community.
- Clear, concise writing style and ability to simplify complex ideas into simple narrative
- Curiosity about new technologies and a passion to help enhance the Cincinnati startup ecosystem.
- Prior experience conducting research end-to-end, using data to draw conclusions and present findings.
To apply, please email your cover letter and resume to Zand Walters at email@example.com.
This is a full-time, Cincinnati-based position with a hybrid work schedule. Salary range is $72,730-$110,000 based on experience along with bonus potential. Competitive benefits include full Health benefits, HSA/FSA, Go365 Wellness program, 401(k) match, Parental leave, and PTO in a collaborative, dog friendly, casual dress co-working space at Union Hall. You’ll also have access to all Cintrifuse and Union Hall events.
Cintrifuse is committed to diversity, equity and inclusion and is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace that seeks to recruit, develop and retain the most talented people from a variety of backgrounds, perspectives and skills. We encourage applicants from all genders, races, religions, ages and sexual orientations, as well as veterans, people living with disabilities, and any other groups who could bring diverse perspectives to our mission.