Head of Product
Posted on Sunday, September 10, 2023
Bearing is at the forefront of bringing AI to the maritime shipping industry, with a technology platform that combines real-world operational data and deep learning to streamline many aspects of ocean shipping - from reducing fuel consumption to optimizing market opportunities with greener operations.
Bearing aggregates and analyzes data from multiple sources to provide actionable insights for fuel efficiency, optimal routing, and vessel performance. Our team is made up of highly experienced AI engineers, mariners, and tech industry veterans, and we’re backed by investment from AI ventures and global maritime partners. We’ve launched our first product and have deployed Bearing across the fleets of several of the maritime industry’s premium international shippers as our customers.
We are looking for a Head of Product to lead our Product team. This is a remote role based in the US and will report directly to the CEO.
Here is what you’ll do:
- Develop a product strategy and roadmap, and be able to articulate concepts into clear, actionable product plans for software development, UX, quality, marketing, and customer-facing teams.
- Scale and lead a team of talented product managers.
- Scope, define, and document market and product requirements.
- Curate feature requests, UI design, bug fixes, and resolution of tech debt to ensure focus and prioritization of team resources.
- Provide leadership to product managers coordinating cross-functional scrum teams.
- Actively prioritize engineering efforts and manage sprints through Jira.
- Coordinate sprint planning and ticket creation.
- Work closely with engineering, design, and customer support teams to actively manage team progress and ensure the delivery of quality products.
- Engage directly with customers and strategic industry partners, develop a comprehensive understanding of their business and technical needs, and incorporate learning into products, features, and planning.
- Cultivate market and competitive intelligence, assess industry trends, and conduct usability research to ensure products deliver formidable customer value.
- Represent the company as an industry expert and thought leader through industry events, tradeshows, webinars, panels, and media.
- A track record of product team leadership defining, developing and launching innovative SaaS enterprise products, technologies and commercial platforms.
- Exceptional interpersonal and time management skills, and a demonstrated ability to render customer needs into clear product requirements.
- Experience with Agile product management methodology and using it effectively to coordinate development resources.
- Knowledge and experience in research, design, test and deployment of innovative UX/UI applications.
- A passion for using technology to solve complex problems, and for driving product decisions with sound data and established success criteria.
- Skillful working collaboratively and cross-functionally in both strategic and hands- on roles, inside the company and with external strategic partners and customer teams.
- Confident, calm leadership presence and excellent communication skills.
Nice to Haves:
- Experience developing AI-enabled products.
- Prior company experience managing complex software products in the maritime, automotive, air or space industries.
- Experience working with customers and teams from Asia and/or Latin America.
- Experience in a product leadership position at a Series Seed or Series A startup and helping early-stage teams scale.
At Bearing, we are committed to providing an environment of mutual respect where equal employment opportunities are available to all applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy (including childbirth, lactation, and related medical conditions), national origin, age, physical and mental disability, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information (including characteristics and testing), military and veteran status, and any other characteristic protected by applicable law. Bearing believes that diversity and inclusion among our employees are critical to our success as a company, and we seek to recruit, develop and retain the most talented people from a diverse candidate pool. Selection for employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit, and business need.