Senior Associate/Principal Builder
Posted on Sunday, September 10, 2023
Who We Are:
AI is the new electricity: Just as electricity transformed numerous industries starting 100 years ago, AI is now poised to do the same. AI Fund is a venture studio founded by Dr. Andrew Ng in 2017. Our portfolio companies utilize AI technology and applications to improve processes and efficiency.
The AI Fund team combines their experiences as AI pioneers, entrepreneurs, venture capitalists, investors, and operators. We are backed by a $176 million-dollar fund from top-tier VC firms. Our purpose is to build AI companies that move humanity forward.
What We Seek:
We are looking for an energetic Senior Associate or Principal to join our investment team and support our process of building companies.
As company builders, founders and investors ourselves, we are looking to add top new talent to our investment team. We welcome candidates who possess a growth mindset, strong analytical skills and ability to handle ambiguity.
You will be responsible for driving projects forward until either they are falsified (and ended) or smoothly transitioned to a newly found company.
What you will be doing:
- Carry out concept ideation and early product validation. You will be responsible for working with our partners to quickly validate or falsify specific ideas with one or more subject matter experts. This may involve generating candidate business concepts, prototyping, and customer interview work.
- Build a business case. For ideas that seem promising, you will be responsible for building a case for the business, including such elements as a TAM/SAM/SOM analysis, initial business model and initial GTM strategy, and compiling a pitch deck-like document that communicates the main thesis of the business, minimum viable product, go-to-market strategy, and long-term vision.
- Assist with bringing on FIRs (Founders in Residence) and VAs (Venture Advisors). You will play an instrumental role in explaining the business idea to potential founders, helping them understand the potential of the business, and working with a general partner to bring on a strong FIR and VA to carry the business forward through a three month company Build stage.
- Support the FIR, Venture Advisor, technical builder and AI Fund Partner through initial phases of the project. AI Fund and the FIR will meet regularly during the Build Stage. You will be responsible for carrying out both product and project management roles during this period. As project manager, you will stay on top of all of the communication internally and externally with the FIR, as well as communicate schedules and track milestones. You will report key updates to the Venture Advisor and Partner, as well as ensure fast escalation should any problems arise. As product manager, you will assist with customer discovery calls, identify customer needs, work to explore and achieve product-market fit, research competitors and substitutes, coordinate internal and external resources, build financial models, work on the pitch deck and anything upon request by the FIR, Venture Advisor or Partner.
- Support AI Fund’s investment decision at the conclusion of the Build Stage. You will be helping to build a case for whether or not AI Fund should invest.
- Continue to follow and support the new portfolio company as it grows its team, builds its product, closes its initial customers, and faces down challenges en route to closing its first external round of financing.
What you must bring:
- Articulate and interested in modern tech trends (a technophile).
- Able to work well with senior executives in a way that makes efficient use of their timeAt least one of (i) Previous experience working in early stage venture capital assessing business plans and working with start-ups and entrepreneurs, or (ii) technical startup experience in a product or building capacity.
- Strong due diligence skills including market research, competitive market mapping, trend analysis and TAM/SAM/SOM analysis.
- Proactive self-starter with strong work ethicExcellent organizational skills to keep projects moving forward to meet predetermined milestones.
- Growth and technical startup mindset. This may include willingness to try and fail but try again, biased to action, capable of handling ambiguity, scrappy, flexible and comfortable being outside of one’s comfort zone, able to learn from and incorporate feedback to enhance one’s analytical and interpersonal skills.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills with listening skills being critical.
- Strong writing skills.
Nice to haves:
- Previous experience working in investment banking or private equity analyzing various companies/business problems.
- Previous experience in management consulting, working with companies at a strategic or operational level.
- Product design experience at a tech company or a hi-tech start-up.
- AI and/or ML knowledge at a conceptual level .
- Product management experience at early stage companies.
- Excellent quantitative and analytical skills normally found with STEM degrees or equivalent background where you have practiced and honed such skill sets.
Please note that there is no relocation budget or visa sponsorship budget available for this role. We are a remote first company, though we expect you to travel occasionally (4-6 times a year) for in-person team get-togethers and business meetings if you are not located in the Bay Area. If you are located in the Bay Area, you will be expected to work out of our office located in Palo Alto.
At AI Fund, we are committed to providing an environment of mutual respect where equal employment opportunities are available to all applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy (including childbirth, lactation and related medical conditions), national origin, age, physical and mental disability, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information (including characteristics and testing), military and veteran status, and any other characteristic protected by applicable law. AI Fund believes that diversity and inclusion among our employees is critical to our success as a company, and we seek to recruit, develop and retain the most talented people from a diverse candidate pool. Selection for employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit, and business need.